Syntax and Semantics
Numerals raise a host of linguistic issues of a syntactic, morphological, and semantic nature. From a syntactic point of view, they sit on the divide between lexical and functional categories, and occupy a fixed position in the extended nominal projection. Morphologically, they often constitute a productive and fairly transparent category, but their categorial status remains under discussion: do they constitute a word class of their own, or are they nominal or adjectival in nature? Semantically, numerals are clearly akin to quantification in general, but at the same time they can differ from regular quantifiers in being more specific or precise in their denotation.
This workshop aims to bring together researchers working on the (morpho)syntax and semantics of numerals and numerical expressions. It will focus on questions including, but not limited to, the following:
The (morpho)syntax of numerals and numerical expressions
Contributions on the syntax of numerals may relate to the following research questions:
- Are simplex numerals heads or phrases?
- Are numerals lexical or functional items?
- What is the category of numerals (cf. Stavrou & Terzi 2008)? Are they a class of their own or are they nouns or adjectives (Corbett 1978)?
- What is the syntactic structure of complex numerals (cf. Stavrou & Terzi 2008)?
- What is the syntactic structure of ordinals?
- What is the syntax of suppletion amongst ordinals (Barbiers 2007)?
- What is the syntactic status of the numeral one (Barbiers 2007, Borer 2005)?
- Which silent elements can be contained in numerical expressions (cf. Kayne 2005)?
- Are ordinals derived from cardinals?
- Do paucals have the same internal syntax as higher numbers?
- What is the syntax of vague numerical expressions (cf. Corver 2005)?
- Does the syntax of numerals occurring in the DP differ from the syntax of numerals used when counting items?
- What is the syntax of floating numeral quantifiers? (Miyagawa and Arikawa 2007)
- Is there a relation between ordinals and superlativity?
- Are degree expressions derived from numerals (cf. Corver 1997)?